Addis Ababa, which means "New Flower" in Amharic, is an intriguingly indigenous African city. Unlike many other African capitals, it`s founding, growth and development, are not rooted in colonization. Founded in 1887 by Emperor Menelik II, This big, sprawling, hospitable city is 7,200-feet high in the foothills of Mount Entoto and the panoramic view from the peak is spectacular.
Addis Ababa is a mix of the past and the present, sheep, cows and goats walking down the road, framed by skyscrapers in the background, the city and the small-town feel, the modern apartment buildings and the small houses with zinc roofs.
If you happen to
be in Addis Ababa for some reason and have some leisure time; need
no worry what to do, we are here to inform you some of the
activities of Addis Ababa that are worth spending your time with.
There are many interesting places to see in Addis Ababa and in the
surrounding of Addis Ababa.
If you want to see our tour for Addis Ababa and its surroundings, please follow this city tour and excurtion
Places to see in Addis Ababa
• National Museum: one of the most important sub- Saharan museums in all of Africa. The museum is home to the fossilized humanoid Lucy, as well as an amazing collection of artifacts, royal items and art.
• Ethnographic Museum: which was the former palace of Haile Selassie and its collection, reflects the life styles of different ethnic groups of Ethiopia. In addition; it hosts Ethiopian art and traditional music instruments.
• Trinity Cathedral: famous for its stained glass paintings and its grandeur architecture. It is where Hailesilassie’s tomb is found.
• St’ George Church: built in 1896 by Emperor Menelik II after the victory over the Italian colonizer. The inside wall is occupied with religious and historical motivated paintings made by World famous Ethiopian artist Afework Tekle. The museum in the church houses spiritual items and royal relics.
• Mercato: the largest open air market in Africa.
Entoto Mountain: 9843ft high and where the city was founded at first. The panoramic view from the peak is spectacular .